Friday, December 2, 2011

A Retrospective on Regional Lockout

I haven't had to worry about regional lockouts for very long, but only since my issue with Namco X Capcom has it really bothered me much. And because I'm a fan of Japanese anime, I have found plenty of series airing in Japan. Despite some American anime distributors have fallen apart recently, many more have come either out of them or formed on their own. This creates a much larger market where some companies such as Funimation and Bandai Entertainment release more popular series while others such as Sentai Filmworks and Anime Works would release some series either too obscure or weird for the others to bother with. These many distributors still leave many series unlicensed and only available in Japan. For anyone outside, they would have to watch fansubs which are legally ambiguous.

Having to deal with these restrictions that would normally keep me from experiencing other countries' entertainment and culture. This is what brought my attention to regional lockout and region codes. I originally wrote this blog to create a decent source for others to learn about regional lockout as well as its impact on the public, but to find content to post in it, I had to do much further research into it and get perspectives from a few people. I learned much more than what I was already aware of.

My perspective has already been that regional lockout is a problem, and I've found many that agree with me. The only advantages of the system affect the distributors and license holders. I do understand that if these distributors aren't able to profit off their work, they won't be able to stay around to make more, but if regional lockout would be removed, these distributors shouldn't lose too much if not actually make more sales off international sales.

No comments:

Post a Comment